Welcome to my Asylum!

A place to empty my head of the random musing and mumblings that populate it on a daily basis.

Wednesday 18 May 2011

The best laid plans oft gan awry... or something like that...

Robbie Burns said it the right way, I apologise for my misquote if anyone ever reads this and is offended by my lack of detail.

I have been going through my to do list and there was a very important point on there, write a letter to my father.  Now, to clarify, my dad and I are very close and it was very hard for both my parents when we chose to move from the UK to Canada as I had always been pretty much 15-20 minutes drive away (well, once I finally moved out of the family home).  I had always been a real home body so it came as quite a shock that the girl who spent her first 3 months at university crying down the phone to my dad about homesickness, should decide to up and move half way around the world.

Its been 4 1/2 years now that we have been here and I talk to my parents every weekend by phone or skype (I cannot express how bloody wonderful skype is - just a shame my crappy laptop keeps crashing mid call!).  Dad has sent me 4 or 5 letters in that time, and I have sent zero (yep, zilch, nada, diddley - Bad, bad daughter!!)  So, yesterday I wrote him a letter full of how much I love him and miss him, how grateful I am for his support (and my mother too, but the letter is for him) and how lucky I feel to have him as my dad.  Then I typed said letter as I realised I could not read my own writing, so pity help my poor dad trying.  I am out of practice writing by hand (damn email and facebook!!)

Anyhow, I find my stamps yesterday evening and bounce merrily down to the reception at work, shiny white envelope brimming with love in hand, to pop in the mail, only to be informed that Canada Post are going on strike next week and it may last for anything between 2 weeks and 6 months!!!  Anyone with anything going out of the city itself may as well not even bother putting it in the mail as it will be stopped and quite possibly lost in a big basket somewhere for months...... Gah!!  Why NOW!!!

BOLLOCKS!!!! What the F#*K do they think they are doing?  I have a letter I need to go!  Now I understand the issues the staff are having, and I am fully in support of peoples right to strike when faced with sub standard pay or working conditions, but did they have to decide to do it when I have finally written my letter?  I wonder, if I sent them a nice message requesting they leave it for 2 weeks, would they hold off until my dad has his letter...... probably not huh!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment