Welcome to my Asylum!

A place to empty my head of the random musing and mumblings that populate it on a daily basis.

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Raaphy the Roadie..

My better half, Lee, is known by many friends back in the UK as Raaphy.  This is because he, and numerous friends, went to a party at a pub back home dressed as pensioners, christened themselves with suitable 'old man' and 'old lady' names familiar to the North East of England (Anthony became Geordie, Neil became Jack and Lee became Raaphy or Raaph) - the ladies were Hilda, Ethel and the like.

For some reason the names stuck and Lee and his 2 best mates (above mentioned) are still known as Geordie, Jack and Raaphy.  I am "Raaphy's Lass".  I have never called him this, in fact I down right refused to, but now it has become a private little game where he tries to trick me into saying it - he's only managed once so far - I have stood resiliant.

Anyway, way back when, Anthony's brother was in a band called The Chasers, along with Neil, and Lee acted as a Roadie for them (Raaphy the Roadie).  It is many moons ago, before I even met him, but Lee has always wanted to do it again.  Now, Neil is going on tour in the US with the Angelic Upstarts, a punk band from home, and they are stopping in Seattle, which is only about an hour or so away on a plane from Calgary.

Apparently there is room on the tour bus for Raaphy the Roady, and Lee is like a kid in a sweet shop - so excited.  I will miss him if he heads off, obviously, but he has been working so hard for the last few years with little time off, and lately has been doing loads of overtime, for which he is accruing time in lieu, so he deserves to use some of that well earned time for some fun and games with the lads in the US of A.  I just hope he doesn't get arrested.....

No comments:

Post a Comment