Welcome to my Asylum!

A place to empty my head of the random musing and mumblings that populate it on a daily basis.

Tuesday 17 May 2011

I'm a big fat failure .... :-)

At keeping up the blog that is!!  I said in my list of things to do that I must write in my blog at least once a week, and here I am almost 3 weeks later!!  Tut tut!

In all fairness, it has been a busy few weeks.  Work is normally pretty much dead at this time of year, but we had a major stock count and then a batch of orders in so I was kept busy and had no time to blog at work - never have time at home during the week because of kidlets, and we have been busy bees at the weekends.

The first weekend after my last blog we headed out on a drive to the mountains and had a family picnic (can check that off my list then!).  We went to a little place near Banff in the Rockies called Johnson Lake.  Freyja flew her kite that her Grandma bought for her last summer, for the first time poor thing, and we played frisbee, in amongst scoffing fruit, veggies, cheese and juice.

A good time was had by all, the lake was still frozen, though starting to thaw in places, and we saw bear tracks in the snow on the lake edge - fantastic (especially as the bear did not decide to join us for the picnic!).  Afterwards, on the road home, we had to stop for some mountain goats crossing the road, one of whom made a stirling effort to get in my drivers window.  Great fun was had by all!

The following weekend was a big one.  Saturday we went to the Circus!!  It was amazing. Freyja thoroughly enjoyed it - amazingly Rosie did too, even though she's so little, and she stayed awake all through it.  Freyja and I even took a ride on the elephant at the intermission in the middle - I nearly dislocated a hip getting on there but it was worth it!  It was a late night for the kids, not getting to bed until 10pm, and then they were rudely awakened at 6.30am as it was MOTHER'S DAY!!  But not just any mothers day.  This one was extra special as it was also our baby girls FIRST BIRTHDAY!!!   Yay!!

We went and did the 5km Mothers Day Walk (with Rosie in the stroller and Freyja in the wagon) and afterwards went home and had a lovely birthday tea for Rosie, with her godparents and their daughter J (Freyja's best friend forever!)  I even got a mothers day breakfast - except I had it for supper!!  With the busy day, my darling hubbie couldn't do it earlier, but I still got my treat of Eggs Benedict (Yum!)

This weekend was marginally less eventful (though not much) - Sunday we went to Heritage Park to the A Day Out with Thomas event (thats Thomas the Tank Engine for those not in the know).  It was a sunny warm morning so off we all went in our summer attire, only to find when we got out of the car there that the wind had changed and now it was blowing hard and freezing.....BRRRRR!!!  We still had a good time though.

Even this week we are pushed for time.  Freyja has Sparks on Tuesday nights, Swimming on Wednesday nights and then this Thursday night they are having a MultiCultural Potluck Dinner at her school.  I am making "Singing Hinnies".  I know that the majority of the worlds population will have no idea what the hell they are so I will enlighten you.  We hail from the North East of England.  People from this region have a variety of regional accents and names (people from Newcastle and the area around are Geordies (pronounced Jordys), those from Sunderland (only 15 miles or so away) are Mackems (most people would say they sound the same but actually their accents are different!  A Singing Hinny is also called a Griddle Scone (thats kind of a tea biscuit to you North Americans).

It is a fruit scone that is cooked on a gridle plate rather than in the oven.  The mixture is made softer than the average scone and it stays quite soft and fluffy on the inside while being crisp and brown on the outside.  The name derives (allegedly) from a young girl asking her mother if they were ready yet, and the mother replies, "no, their just singing, hinny"  Hinny is a local dialect word for Honey or sweetheart.  The scones would 'sing' as the butter on the griddle bubbled under the batter and they made a 'singing' sound.  There you go - a cultural lesson for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment