Welcome to my Asylum!

A place to empty my head of the random musing and mumblings that populate it on a daily basis.

Wednesday 13 April 2011

The Good, The Bad and the Good looking...

Well, today has been one of nostalgia.  I came into work with an Elvis song in my head, That`s All Right Mamma, to be precise, and the result has been a trip down memory lane courtesy of You Tube.

My mother and my nana both loved Elvis when I was a kid, though I rarely heard my mum listening to him in the time before we moved to Canada - maybe she does now.  So I know quite a catalogue of Elvis songs.  I started this morning with the up tempo early ones and moved on to the slower ones mid morning.  By happy accident, the person who had uploaded the last Elvis one had also uploaded ABC`s `When Smokey Sings`, which has resulted in a trip through my childhood and early teens in 80s England by way of Johnny Hates Jazz and their Shattered Dreams, Mr. Mister and their Broken Wings, with a sojourn into Adam and the Ants, Foreigner and The Smiths.  I do love 80s music.  There were so many talented young people about trying to make it.  In most cases they only became one hit wonders, but they worked hard to even do that.  It seems all the more impressive when you see what a load of crap there is out there at the moment.  And as for Elvis, can you imagine Justin Beiber achieving the same level of sex appeal.  I know he has the screaming girl fan base but they are barely in training bras - I should know - I regularly hear my 6 year old screaming `Justin Beiber!!" - Apparently she is going to marry him, he just doesn't know it yet.  You never know... It worked for Katie Holmes and her childhood dream of marrying Tom Cruise....  Lets just hope the Beibster doesn't take up Scientology!!

Went for another lunchtime walk today and shaved 2 minutes off yesterdays time.  Learned 2 things - 1- eat lunch when you get back, not before the walk, and 2- remember to take off your steel toe cap work shoes and put on the runners.  Though the extra weight I was lugging no doubt did wonders for my calf muscles.
Tomorrow I will do the 2.5km walk again and hopefully will up it to the 3.5km one on Friday.

The extra bonus to all this lunch time exertion is I am more awake in the afternoon at work.  This doesn't matter so much right now as it is so quiet, but come July/August, I will need to be alert for the increase in work and the impending doom of Year End!!  Gah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment